SGS Accredited As an Authorized Inspection Agency (AIA) By the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
SGS is accredited by the American Society of Mechanical Engineer (ASME) as an Authorized Inspection Agency (AIA) and by the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors (NBBI) as an AIA for New Construction and In-service inspection activities.
AIA accreditation enables SGS to review, verify, audit and inspect boilers and pressure vessels in accordance with ASME Codes.
ASME & international standards
ASME publishes the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes which contain requirements regarding the manufacture of boilers and pressure vessels and are internationally accepted standards. All boilers, pressure vessels and even some pressure piping manufactured to ASME standards are required to be inspected / verified by an Authorized Inspector (AI).
SGS’ ASME services
SGS ASME Certification Services are typically required during new construction work, overhauls or turnarounds, in newly planned or existing installations. AIA approval means SGS now offers a range of authorised inspection services, globally, including:
- Review of calculations/drawings before construction according to all international design codes and standards.
- Verification of welding procedures, welder qualifications and material certificates.
- Interim inspections during the construction phase.
- Witness of hydrostatic testing.
- Review/audit of quality programs.
- Third-party inspection services for repairs/alterations to pressure retaining items carried out by a National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors (NB) Certificate of Authorization holder (commonly referred to as an ‘R’ stamp holder).
Industrial sectors requiring ASME certification
ASME certification services are required by fabricators, manufacturers and contractors in industrial sectors such as:
- Chemical and petrochemical
- Storage and transfer companies
- Utilities and power generation
SGS United Kingdom is the legal entity holding the authorisation to act on behalf of SGS. The company’s global network of AIs conducts inspection and supervisory duties in accordance with applicable SGS United Kingdom’s quality programs.
SGS Industrial inspection services
SGS inspection activities are designed to assist project teams in their decision making processes so that they can manage their risks in a timely manner to ensure that projects are completed on schedule, within budget, and without accidents.
In addition to ASME and NBBI AIA services, SGS can deliver a full range of industrial services, including:
- Notified Body services according to the EU Pressure Equipment Directive (PED).
- Inspection of safety device and operational controls.
- Visual internal and/or external inspections.
- Determination of intrinsic boiler water quality.
- Field inspectors and coordinators.
- PED, TPED, ASME inspections and audits.
- Welding procedure and welding qualifications for all international standards, including ASME, ISO 15614 and DIN 8560.
For further information, please contact:
SGS Industrial Services
t: +61 2 8594 0485
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.