Mining Coal and Coke
At SGS, we know that producers and users of coal, coke and solid biofuel rely on accurate, independent test results to ensure maximum recovery and optimised plant operations.
SGS is the world leader in coal, coke and biofuel testing and assaying. Clients around the world rely on our expertise, equipment and experience. When your samples are tested in our laboratories, you can be sure that the results are accurate, recognised globally and compliant with international standards.
SGS coal and coke analysis services include:
- Proximate and ultimate analysis of the moisture, sulphur, calorific value, volatile matter and fixed carbon on coal and coke sampled and prepared by prescribed methods
- Ash analysis and testing services including ash elemental analysis, ash fusion testing, ash viscosity, chemical ash elemental analysis, fly ash resistivity and coal petrography. This is important to understand to determine how close your material is to “ideal” for steam power generation
- Drop shatter tests estimate the capacity of your coal to resist breakage during handling and transportation
- Hardgrove Grindability Index (HGI) is a measure of coal’s resistance to crushing. The HGI helps you to estimate grinding power requirements and throughput capacities in your operations
- Float-sink/Washability analysis characterises and quantifies your sample as low density “clean coal”, high density, “reject” or intermediate density “middlings”
- Coal Calculations Accurate and precise calculations are key to the success of a coke operation. SGS has made calculations for calorific value, total hydrogen and many other interesting functions available for our clients’ use
- Rheology of coal is a key consideration in a coking operation. Coking coals swell, soften and then re-solidify to form coke when heated in the absence of air. The Gieseler Plastometer and Arnu Dilatometer are industry standard rheology tests used to evaluate the plasticity or rheological properties of coal
- Carbonisation testing - Pilot scale carbonisation testing is used to evaluate coking coals and coking coal blends prior to testing in commercial coke ovens
Partner with SGS and leverage our technical capabilities to guarantee that your coal and coke analyses meet global standards for quality and excellence. Contact SGS to learn more about our coal testing procedures, which provide you with accurate and timely coal analysis results.